bbAntiSpam: Discuss how to stop web spam

The forum is retired.

bbAntiSpam Forum Index - Textual Confirmation - New Administration Version

asuter

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: New Administration Version  

Hello everybody,

I've created a new administration version of this wonderful textual confirmation. There are no translations available yet. Oleg, if you would, you can add this admin version to the officially released TC.

Here is a screenshot:

Installation instructions can be found here:
http://www.adriansuter.ch/bbAntiSpam/INSTALL.txt

The zip of the needed files can be downloaded here:
http://www.adriansuter.ch/bbAntiSpam/tc2.zip

Hope, this would be useful to any of you. Drop a line if you'll find any bugs - I'm sure there are.

Best regards and good night
Adrian
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject:  

Thanks a lot! The rework looks great, and the code seems also ok.

Unfortunately, I can't check it closely and integrate the code in the nearest week.

And do you allow me to integrate the code? Formally, the license is GPL etc etc, but you know I try to make some money on Textual Confirmation, and therefore might resist that your code will work for me.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject:  

You can include my code, even if you make money. I would say, as long as you offer a free version of the tool. Or we can share the millions, fifty-fifty Very Happy.

I would be glad, if you put a line in your copyrights that does mention my help.

By the way, the TC2 admin checks for the existence of the TEXTUAL_CONFIRMATION_TABLE database table and it can create the table automatically. So this could change your installation instructions, i.e. no database actions: Simply install the MOD (copy and change files) and login to the administration area, where you click on "Textual Confirmation" and then you get asked to create the table. Click "Yes" and the table would be created automatically.

Currently I'm thinking of a new new version with logging and log-analyzing! You can find a prototype example of the analyzing at the following url:
http://christkath.ch/forum/myTC.php

The attacks are stored in a new database table. Clearly this has to be transformed in standard phpBB admin code.

What do you think about that?
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
I would be glad, if you put a line in your copyrights that does mention my help.

Yes, sure.

Quote:
By the way, the TC2 admin checks for the existence of the TEXTUAL_CONFIRMATION_TABLE database table and it can create the table automatically.

I've noticed it, and I can say it's great. I expected that the SQL part is hard for many users, but I was surprised how many phpBB administrators are the normal people who are not very smart in web programming.

Quote:
Currently I'm thinking of a new new version with logging and log-analyzing!

It's interesting, but I'm not sure it is required. I suppose that most people want to stop spam, but not to to control spam. Anyway, I think many will like to install this add-on, therefore I'll include the code. At least, I'm curious to get some statistics online.

Meanwhile, I decided to include the code not as the core functionality, but as something in the "contrib" directory.

* The main problem is that the code is mysql-oriented, but there are people who use other database.
* The second main problem, as a variation of the first, is that MOD will not pass MOD validation.

Using "contrib" will workaround the problems.

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject:  

Oleg, I'm one of those people that use phpbb, but am not at all very good at the programming side of things. Your TC mod seems like exactly what everyone should have installed, so thank you for that. I have not installed it yet, as the SQL item stopped me. I finally did see your instructions on how to do that, (beyond what is listed in the "Install" file), but this add on by Adrain seems like it will work even smoother for people like myself. Has Adrain's solution to that been added yet, or is that still to come? Or should I be adding this from his install instructions?
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
Has Adrain's solution to that been added yet, or is that still to come?

Unfortunately, it's still to come. Till recently, all the efforts were devoted to Advanced Textual Confirmation.

Quote:
Or should I be adding this from his install instructions?

Yes, use Adrain's installation instructions.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject:  

Thanks, I'll follow that route and use Adrain's instructions. I also decided I'd better register on this forum, I look forward to keeping up with the news here.
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject:  

By the way, if you want to get news: I've just created the RSS feed. Here are the details.

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject:  

yes, i look forward to the time when Adrian's thingy can get added to TC

hopefully phpBB3 will have something similar to TC built-in by default? for how long they're making us wait, they'd better!
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
hopefully phpBB3 will have something similar to TC built-in by default?

Yes, in phpBB3, it should be possible to define custom required fields. However, I haven't tried it yet, and have no idea about usability. And nothing can beat Advanced Textual Confirmation.
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject:  

Bulgarian translation. Thanks diabolic.bg.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject:  

asuter's control panel mod looks nice, but i prefer the original version with the textarea because is easier to change all the questions that way.

For example, my questions contain html img tags so they display pictures and ask the user what the picture shows. If i want to change all my pictures from *.jpg to *.gif, or change the picture directory, i can just select the whole textarea, copy, paste into text editor, and do a "replace all" to change all the affected strings in all the questions, and then copy and paste it back into the textarea and save.

With asuter's mod it looks like i may have to change all the questions by hand, one by one, and that will take longer.

So could i sugest that you retain the option of your original textarea type input in future versions (maybe have an alternative mod file for the old textarea style)? Perhaps just make the textarea a bit wider so it is easier to see the long lines of question text (maybe set the width of the textarea to a large percentage of the containing element's width using css style).
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject:  

Very soon, I'm starting a small rework of Textual Confirmation. The textarea will be retained.

Thanks for confirming that the textarea is the Right Thing.

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject:  

admin wrote:
Quote:
hopefully phpBB3 will have something similar to TC built-in by default?

Yes, in phpBB3, it should be possible to define custom required fields. However, I haven't tried it yet, and have no idea about usability. And nothing can beat Advanced Textual Confirmation.

There's no sign of it in the latest beta. Just the image confirmation as usual.
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject:  

I've found it under "Users and Groups" -> "Custom profile fields", but it can't be used as Textual Confirmation.

Ok.