bbAntiSpam: Discuss how to stop web spam

The forum is retired.

bbAntiSpam Forum Index - Textual Confirmation - Great mod!!

mfnetworx

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Great mod!!  

After thinking about all the alternatives, this one seems to me to be one of the easiest and best answers. After, you can customize it (you DO want to change the default question right away). Unless the spambot can incorporate a dictionary to look for keywords I don't see how they can beat this one.

Of course I would have said that for captcha and a hunnert other ideas as well, but I think this one is a great idea.

And by the way, I have a popular forum which I never name in places like this, and in the first 8 hours we stopped 60 spambots (my staff was ready to rebel).

Thanks for a simple and logical solution to beating the spammers, and I hope that database of spam attemptors you are compliling someday leads to their convictions.
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject:  

Hi!

Thanks for feedback!

Quote:
in the first 8 hours we stopped 60 spambots

I'm very impressed! I thought one of my forums was the biggest TC-protected, but now I know a bigger one.

Quote:
Unless the spambot can incorporate a dictionary to look for keywords I don't see how they can beat this one.

I'm sure they will incorporate a dictionary. But it's not a problem. Here is what I write for Advanced Textual Confirmation:

To pass ATC, spammers will have to collect a database of question and answers. This work requires a human. Even if spammers pay as low as 1 cent per forum, 100,000 forums will cost them $1,000. And database maintenence is even more costly.

Therefore, for spammer it is much more profitable to skip the sites protected by ATC. They'll better spam unprotected one.

Ok.