bbAntiSpam: Discuss how to stop web spam

The forum is retired.

bbAntiSpam Forum Index - Textual Confirmation - Help executing SQL

PeteRFNY

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Help executing SQL  

Hi Admin,

While I consider myself to be slightly better than lost when it comes to being PC-saavy (emphasis on "slightly"), I am having problems figuring out the SQL part of Textual Confirmation.

I followed the installation instructions on the install.txt rundown without incident UNTIL I got to the [SQL] part (the next-to-last step, naturally).

I will admit right up front that I know VERY little about SQL. As such I am confused as to where the SQL script needs to be inserted. There is no instruction to where it goes. If this is a new table - where does it get saved to - and how?

PLEASE help as I have been trying to figure out where it goes on my own and after almost two hours and several useless online tutorials that seem to be equally as vague, I'm ready to give up.

I'm sure the answer is going to be a real "DUH" answer...but right now my brain is oozing out through my ears.

Thanks in advance!
Pete
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject:  

Hi Pete,

you don't need to blame yourself, the SQL part is really non-trivial.

I've updated the first posting, adding step-by-step instructions. Try to follow them and report if everything is ok.

Update: the thread is splitted, SQL HOWTO is here: FAQ: executing SQL.

Last edited by admin on Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
PeteRFNY

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject:  

That was TOO easy! Very Happy

I'm NOT as dopey as I thought - I actually did everything right on my own EXCEPT browse to the file. Not bad!

Thanks! Now I can stop deleting bogus new account every ding-dong day.

Pete!
PeteRFNY

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject:  

Hmm...I may still be doing something wrong. When going to the "register" page, should there be prompts for BOTH questions (Are you human? and Say hello), or just one? I can only see Are you human? unless I delete it, then I see Say hello.

I left it as just "Say hello", but STILL had a bogus member sign up today. I changed the word to something else to see if that helps.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Pete
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
When going to the "register" page, should there be prompts for BOTH questions (Are you human? and Say hello), or just one?

Just one. The question is chosen randomly from the set of the questions.

Quote:
I left it as just "Say hello", but STILL had a bogus member sign up today. I changed the word to something else to see if that helps.

Today bots don't work alone, but in cooperation with a human. If the bot can't pass, the human assits him. That's why any mod to prevent registrations can't be 100%-successful. However, at the moment, Textual Confirmation is more successfull than visual confirmations, and I have some ideas how to improve TC.

Quote:
Any suggestions?

Remove simple questions, and add something like:
Quote:
What's the forum pass code (see <a href="faq.php">FAQ</a>)?

Don't forget to edit faq.php to add the pass code.
PeteRFNY

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject:  

Can't humans also help find the passcode?

I know it will definitely help, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate...! Wink
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
Can't humans also help find the passcode?

Humans can. But now the cost of making a spam registration is more than the cost of deleting the registration. For me, it's the main indication of a good anti-spam tool.
Also, after 100th hand-made registration, the spammer will be very tired and will just skip all other protected forums.
lawgiver

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject:  

To admin:
You might try to automate the SQL-creation in the product since many who might benfit from adding your mod does not have a SQL admin-interface at hand. (needs to talk to their ISP or server admin or....) which will make them not implementing your excellent mod.
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject:  

Yes, sure. I found that the SQL part must be as simple as possible. At the moment, the simplification is hidden in the FAQ, and will be added to the mod on the next revision. Thanks for voting +1 for the feature!

Ok.