bbAntiSpam: Discuss how to stop web spam

The forum is retired.

bbAntiSpam Forum Index - Textual Confirmation - Gratulations

asuter

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Gratulations  

Hello

I'd like to congratulate to your good work. It seems, that the textual confirmation does its job and prevents spam-registrations. I hope, this would still be the case if once the tool would become very popular.

However, here is a suggestion for further development: Use the textual confirmation to update on-the-fly the .htaccess file. For example, log the IPs of the spammers and if there were more than X register attempts that failed from one IP within the last Y days, then add a deny entry to the .htaccess file.

I have already modified your "tc_bad_answer"-function such that it would log the IP together with a timestamp in a file. By the way, no panic, I haven't commented out or deleted anything...

Are the community spam notifications available for us - the community? Any statistics? Would be interesting to know some numbers/stats.

Best regards
Adrian Suter
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
I'd like to congratulate to your good work. It seems, that the textual confirmation does its job and prevents spam-registrations. I hope, this would still be the case if once the tool would become very popular.

Thanks a lot! And yes, I think that Textual Confirmation (TC) would be even more effective if become popular. Sometimes, if a spam bot fails to register, then a human spam-registers manually. But if TC is installed on many boards, the human will become tired very soon and will just skip such boards.

Quote:
However, here is a suggestion for further development: Use the textual confirmation to update on-the-fly the .htaccess file. For example, log the IPs of the spammers and if there were more than X register attempts that failed from one IP within the last Y days, then add a deny entry to the .htaccess file.

Thanks for suggesting. Most likely, something like it will be in the future versions.

Quote:
Are the community spam notifications available for us - the community? Any statistics? Would be interesting to know some numbers/stats.

Unfortunately, at the moment the numbers are unknown, even for me. I need time to work on it. But earlier or later, It will be have done.
donjoe

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject:  

So far so good. Very Happy No more nasties getting through - not one. I guess it helps (among other things) to have a non-english forum. Razz It may be a long, long while before any human spammer decides to pay me a visit and make a list of my 6-7 answers. And even then, all I have to do is come up with a fresh list, which is easy as pie, because I want everyone to be able to register so it's enough to write some common-sense questions quickly.

Great mod! *thumbs up*

Ok.