bbAntiSpam: Discuss how to stop web spam

The forum is retired.

bbAntiSpam Forum Index - phpBB spam - No Recipient Defined

Rental01

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: No Recipient Defined  

When we send a PM, on some browsers (like brand new install of Firefox or in Internet Explorer at work), after responding to the bbAntiSpam question we get a message stating "no recipient defined" and the message is lost.

Thoughts? This is the only place we have this issue.

[Edit: I should have placed this in the ATC section - sorry]

Very Happy
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject:  

I'm afraid that the problem is not in browsers, but in the forum's engine (or more likely, in its third-party addon). And then I can not help.

A quick look at google suggests you are not alone, even without bbAntiSpam. Please look, for example, here:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1219125

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject:  

The strange thing is that it's only when the user is presented with the ATC page that they have this problem. If they are not presented with it when posting a private message they go through just fine.

Very Happy
Rental01

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject:  

Maybe I need to ask another way - what determines if a user will receive the ATC page when posting? The reason I ask is that on each system that has this problem I have to respond to ATC after every single post, regardless of whether it's a PM, a reply, or a new topic.

Very Happy
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject:  

ATC activates only if the page request method is POST and the cookie "bbas_pass_code" is wrong. The pass code is a hash of the server name, server admin, user's browser identification string and the first three octets of the user IPs: REMOTE_ADDR','HTTP_VIA','HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR.

If you want to learn more, I can send the source code.

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject:  

It has to be something related to my use of cookies then. At work I understand this, but I'm curious why Firefox at home is having trouble with the cookies. On the same computer in IE it works fine but not in Fx.

Very Happy

Ok.