bbAntiSpam: Discuss how to stop web spam

The forum is retired.

bbAntiSpam Forum Index - phpBB spam - anti-spam questions

Author Message

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: anti-spam questions  

I have both files bbantispam.php and bbasconfig.php in the root of my forum. I have include_once($phpbb_root_path . 'bbantispam.' . $phpEx); in common.php right after <?php

1) However, when logging on I don't always get the spam message. I have a couple of different user accounts and if I log into one, type anti-spam msg, then log out and login as another profile, it does not ask. Is that because it doesn't go with username but with cookie?

2) If someone types an incorrect username or password when logging in, instead of going to the error message saying you can't log in, it goes to the anti-spam msg first, then back to the error msg. How can I have them finish logging in correctly before giving them this msg?

3) Lastly, I have mChat mod. When I log on as an the highest permission my admin/ACP username, the spam question shows up in the actual chat message. I know I installed mChat correctly because I did it with the automod and had no problems. I have screenshots if needed! I worry that it might log other people on to my board and put the question there as well.

Site Admin

Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Posts: 805
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject:  


thanks for the questions!

For (1), you've correctly identified the reason: the pass code is in a cookie. And I think that there is no reason to re-ask a question when re-logging.

As for (2) and (3), it's all about compromises: a specialized tool vs a generic tool suitable in 99.99% cases. Unfortunately, you have the rest 0.01%. The only solution is to make the tool a bit specialized. In particular, the code of forum should be modified to avoid running bbAntiSpam in some situations. How to do it? Sorry, I can't help with it. But any friend with basic web programming skills could help you.
Oleg Parashchenko, bbAntiSpam
Do you love our tools? Please sponsor further development!

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Spam Question Before Forum Password Retry Error  

That's great about #1. #3 I think will only be for me because so far I believe this is only happening with 2 login requests. If that's the case, it's no big deal. But #2, I'd like to fix. I'll see if the people at phpbb can help me with #2. Thanks for you help!