bbAntiSpam: Discuss how to stop web spam

The forum is retired.

bbAntiSpam Forum Index - phpBB spam - Forum spammers

Steven Burn

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Forum spammers  

You've got quite a few spammers on your forums ;o)
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject:  

Time to time, spam happens. Probably I'll need to change the default questions, but not now.

Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject:  

Hello Admin! I'd like to thank you for this wonderfull piece of programming (textual confirmation) witch saved my forum Very Happy
Firstly, i write from Romania, I have a home-kept server, and i have a forum ( the romanian Lada club). I don't know how, spam started to appear after i had indexed my forum on google. Almoast all spammers have at they'r mails a .ru domain (for example ....@mail.ru, ....@inbox.ru).
Being a novice system administrator, i'd like to ask you how the heck the bots and the spammers found my forum ? It's probabily because I indexed my site. But I whould like to understand the mechanism, how the spammer chooses the target.
Thanks, K
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
Almoast all spammers have at they'r mails a .ru domain

Yes, the spammer's software prefer to use .ru free e-mails. But it's not always so.

Quote:
how the heck the bots and the spammers found my forum ? It's probabily because I indexed my site.

Yes, the spammers just search Google for forums. For example, using the string "powered by phpBB".

Ok.