bbAntiSpam: Discuss how to stop web spam

The forum is retired.

bbAntiSpam Forum Index - phpBB spam - Problematic licensing

M

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Problematic licensing  

Hi

First I want to thank you for the great mods.

Second I'm a little bit confused about the license additions.. Have you ever read GPL or GPL2 licenses? They clearly state that one can "redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation".

I don't think that it's okay to release code under GPL and then add your own licensing terms to it. So in other words; anyone can legally remove the code that sends mail to your db without any license violations. You can ask people to donate money for you or to send spams to you but you cannot say that one _must_ buy business license if they want to stop sending mails to your db. Thats in conflict with gpl license.

If you want you can contact me at pilipiirakka piirakka com.
M

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject:  

And I thought that I was sending an email to the author via web form, I was not aware that it was for posting to a forum.. Clicked the contact author and so on.

Maybe it would be nice to warn users that they are writing to a forum? Or did I miss something?
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject:  

Hi!

First of all, thanks for the good words about the Textual Confirmation.

You are right about GPL, and Textual Confirmation is actully distributed under GPL. The additions is just my wish, I can't enforce it. I've updated the text a bit, now it explicitely mentions GPL and contains no words "must".

Quote:
Maybe it would be nice to warn users that they are writing to a forum?

Yes, the warning does exist, but apparently nobody notices it. I've just highlighted it in bold.

Thanks for noticing and reporting the problems!

Ok.