bbAntiSpam: Discuss how to stop web spam

The forum is retired.

bbAntiSpam Forum Index - phpBB spam - Server-Wide License

Dan Mahoney

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Server-Wide License  

Hello,

I am a webhost with a lot of phpBB users who install the standard phpBB and clog up my maillog by getting attacked.

Since your standard license allows "running on any number of computers" I am sure that I could simply buy one copy and get it to run on many sites, but I wanted to make sure this is kosher by you.

As a side note, I also often run scripts that auto-install scripts like this onto my user boards (a little bit BOFH, but I do what is necessary).

Are these allowable via your license?
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject:  

Hi Dan,

thanks for asking.

Strictly speaking, Textual Confirmation is under GPL license, just like phpBB itself. Therefore, you have a lot of liberty. But the kosher way for me for phpBB mass-hosting is:

One license per each 1000 users. If you have 2000 users, you need to purchase 2 licenses. If you have 10000 users, you need to purchase 10 licenses. Etc. It's assumed that you install TC to all users.

Quote:
Since your standard license allows "running on any number of computers" I am sure that I could simply buy one copy and get it to run on many sites

Not exactly. Actually, a license key is bound to the site name.

Quote:
As a side note, I also often run scripts that auto-install scripts like this onto my user boards (a little bit BOFH, but I do what is necessary).

Are these allowable via your license?

Yes, sure. I believe in fair use.

Ok.