bbAntiSpam: Discuss how to stop web spam

The forum is retired.

bbAntiSpam Forum Index - Textual Confirmation - Enoding problem

Freeze

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Enoding problem  

Hello,

My Textual Confirmation is unable to display the cyrillic (Russian) characters on the new user registration page of phpBB forum. All questions in Russian which were entered into Textual Confirmation are displayed as "??????" on that page. In all other places of my phpbb forum the Rusian characters are displayed correctly.

I've tried to add the questions to the database using the Textual Confirmation page of administrative area of the forum as well as directly by using the INSERT INTO query - no luck in booth cases.

Please advice how to solve his problem?
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject:  

Textual Confirmation doesn't know about encodings, it uses the standard services of phpBB. Therefore, if your forum correctly works with Russian, then Textual Confirmation also should work with Russian correctly.

Give the link to your forum, I'll look at it and try guess what's the problem you have.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject:  

The forum is:

http://chemtable.com/forum
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject:  

My first impression that the forum looks ok. Let's try the following:

*) What's the language of the Administrator? If English, try to switch to Russian.

*) Do you use some "smart" browser like Internet Explorer? Many of them try to guess an encoding. Make sure that the frame where you edit questions uses windows-1251 encoding.

*) Can you correctly edit other (non-Textual Confirmation) texts, such as the forum name?

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject:  

admin wrote:
My first impression that the forum looks ok. Let's try the following:

*) What's the language of the Administrator? If English, try to switch to Russian.

Do you mean the language of the forum? It is set to Russian.

admin wrote:

*) Do you use some "smart" browser like Internet Explorer? Many of them try to guess an encoding. Make sure that the frame where you edit questions uses windows-1251 encoding.

No, the encoding is correct (Cyrillic (Windows))

admin wrote:

*) Can you correctly edit other (non-Textual Confirmation) texts, such as the forum name?

Yes.

Can this be the problem of the MySQL database configuration? Recently I've moved from Russian to American hosting provider. The problem occured after moving to the new hosting. But as I've wrote above, in all other places the Russian characters are displayed correctly.

When I'm entering the text to the editing field of the Textual Confirmation the Russian characters are displayed correctly too. However, on the new user registration page they are displayed as "???". It seems that the database transforms Russian characters to "???". Do you have any ideas?
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject:  

Yes, I think the database encoding is the problem. I also had a similar problem recently: http://uucode.com/blog/2007/11/25/russian-any-language-in-wordpress/.

I don't know mysql well, therefore can't suggest the exact options for mysql. But I hope that with the help of phpMyAdmin you can detect the right way.

I'd suggest you to look at the Russian phpBB forum. For example, I found this topic: http://phpbbguru.net/community/topic1142.html.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject:  

Thank you for your answers.

I've solved the problem (although the solution is quite strange). I've noticed when logging to phpMyAdmin that all tables related to phpBB except "phpbb_textual_confirmation" has encoding "latin1_swedish_ci" and only the last one has "cp1251_general_ci". I've changed the encoding of the table "phpbb_textual_confirmation" to "latin1_swedish_ci" and now it works correctly with cyrillic characters (a bit strange solution, isn't it?).
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
A bit strange solution, isn't it?

Yes, very strange, and I'm afraid it works only due to the odd number of errors.

Ok.