bbAntiSpam: Discuss how to stop web spam

The forum is retired.

bbAntiSpam Forum Index - Textual Confirmation - This MOD is Excellent

George Bowyer

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: This MOD is Excellent  

Hi.

Installed this MOD and it works a treat.

Haven't had a single spammer since I installed it - whereas previously I was getting 30+ spam registrations and god knows how many spam topics a day. Saves me a bundle of time.

Paid the registration fee and happy to do it.

Great work. Thanks.

George Bowyer

PS: The quality of support for us coding novices is excellent, too.
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject:  

Thanks a lot for the gret feedback! If you are no against, I'd add it on the site as a testimonial.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject:  

Thank you, Oleg,

Excellent mod working fine.

Do you object if I remove the email notiification to the bboard_email and you will be the only destination of the textual confirmation email? In fact, I have a spambot registration every 30 minutes and I don't want my mailbox to be polluated by these notifications.

Thanks.
Johnny
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject:  

Hi Johnny,

the Textual Confirmation MOD is released under GPL license, therefore you are allowed to do any changes without my permission. But on the other side, the second idea of sending notifications is to give an incentive to sponsor me.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject:  

admin wrote:
But on the other side, the second idea of sending notifications is to give an incentive to sponsor me.

Hi, Oleg,
For me, it seems to be a very strange idea to write a GPL code awaiting to be sponsored. I think in the GPL world the only sponsoring is restricted to the information and feedback (something like collecting spambot's IPs) I think if one wants to be sponsored, he would better do like mister Gates does. But you might have your own reasoning...

Well, since one week that your textual confirmation is inserted in my phpbb it rejects about 90% spambots. Looking through mailings, I found that remaining 10% registrations have already been rejected at least once. It was the second (or the 3rd) registration that has been accepted. Hence, they read and collect the phpbb answer in order to understand why they registration has been rejected. So I am thinking whether it would be preferrable to hide the true reason and to write something general ("We do not need spambots, your registration is rejected") or false (like simple "PhpBB error").

Third thing: It seems also to be a good idea to hide website and language fields in the registration form and reject all registrations with websites and lang=english. If the default language of the forum must be english, it must be renamed in this case.

After these changes have been applied I have zero spambots in 3 days and about 100 rejections a day.
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject:  

Hi Johnny,

earlier or later, I'll explain in the blog why the commercial tools are under GPL, why it's ok, and why I do so. The topic is big, but the short summary is: antispam tools isn't something to be developed once and never updated, but they require everyday attention.

In particular, I monitor different approaches to stop spam. Your suggestions are implemented by other MODs, and they seem work well. However, I always insist that the forum admin shouldn't make bad for the forum visitors. Therefore, I'd recommend to show the website field on the profile page, after the user has registered.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject:  

admin wrote:
antispam tools isn't something to be developed once and never updated, but they require everyday attention.
Just like antiviruses. I have never seen GPL antivirus. Some of them are freeware, but the majority are commercial and updates are commercial also.
admin wrote:

admin shouldn't make bad for the forum visitors. Therefore, I'd recommend to show the website field on the profile page, after the user has registered.
In this case website may be simply renamed in php script to something like homepage. If the registration provides a website -- it is rejected, and if it is a homepage -- then accepted.
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
In this case website may be simply renamed in php script to something like homepage. If the registration provides a website -- it is rejected, and if it is a homepage -- then accepted.

Yes, it looks reasonable. However, it needs some work to implement.

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Great Mod  

I am new to running a PhpBB but soon found spambots a big problem. I found the Textual Confirmation mod and it has completely solved the problem. Such a simple idea and far better than Captcha. Thank you very much for the time and effort taken to provide such a great mod.

Cheers,

John Dunlop

Webmaster : http://www.southernjive.co.uk/forum

Ok.