bbAntiSpam: Discuss how to stop web spam

The forum is retired.

bbAntiSpam Forum Index - phpBB spam - Hi, I have created a another tool to help curve forum spam.

Josh

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Hi, I have created a another tool to help curve forum spam.  

Hi, my name is Josh and I am the developer of a new project called FSpamlist (Forum Spammer List, http://www.fspamlist.com). The goal of this project is to collect (universally by many contributors) forum spammer's names, e-mail addresses, domains, and IP addresses so that they can be exported and used in conjunction with forum software's ban lists. Hopefully with this tool, forum administrators can regularly update their ban lists with FSpamlist's database and block a vast number of spammers before they even register. This, of course, can be used in conjunction with any other spam blocking method. I was wondering if we might be able to help each other out and spread the news about forum spam solutions. I actually found this site by installing the textual confirmation mod to my PHPBB installation. It's a great tool. Anyway, I hope you can check out the new project and hopefully we can assist each other in the future.

-Josh
damnian

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject:  

What's the difference between your project and bbProtection?

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject:  

damnian wrote:
What's the difference between your project and bbProtection?

From the looks of it, they're completely different. bbantispam makes software for users to install to help in differing links in forum posts, and also to add a visual text-prompt confirmation during the registration process. Both differ spam.

My method of curving spam is different, my database hold hundreds of know spammer's name/e-mail/ and ip addresses. This data can then be exported and used to populate forum ban list. A ban list is already part of your forum software. There is no need to install anything. Just export, copy and paste.

Thanks for the inqury
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject:  

Hello Josh,

it's nice you've started the project. Unfortunately, it's easy to start, but hard to promote the project and make it viable and self-running. Drop me a note if you reach the latter.

For promotion, I encourage you to submit a posting for my new blog: Spam Bots and CAPTCHAs.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject:  

I'd go just for IP's... since names and email address are free and can be made up using random letters.

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject:  

Kareeser wrote:
I'd go just for IP's... since names and email address are free and can be made up using random letters.

This list contains wildcards as well. sure someone can make 435345334@mail.by ... but it won't with with *@mail.by in the list.

Ok.