bbAntiSpam: Discuss how to stop web spam

The forum is retired.

bbAntiSpam Forum Index - Textual Confirmation - no registration form at all now

eyeless

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: no registration form at all now  

I have now spent half the day trying to figure out what's up with this mod. Have reinstalled 2.0.22 forum twice and after performing the TC installation very carefully and run the db_update.php file, I log out and try and register, but when I click register, I only get a blank page with the forum menu header and footer, but no registration fields at all in between. After repeating this a couple of times it is suggested that I have tried to register too many times .... hmm. Maybe something strange with the config.php file (the only file I have not replaced from the download)? Try here: lyceum.dk/eyelessforum/ .... . /Jerry
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject:  

Something went wrong. Please zip and send to me (<olepar gmail com>) the following files:

includes/constants.php
includes/usercp_register.php
templates/subSilver/profile_add_body.tpl

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks for the help with the Mac specific line endings that caused the problem! /Jerry
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject:  

You are always welcome!

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject:  

I am delighted to find Textual Confirmation for my little forum. I have a group of people who are planning to collaborate on the forum, but the spammers are making everyone uncomfortable and keeping me busy. Textual Confirmation is a great idea and I'm looking forward to using it.

The 3-minute mod has taken many hours. Fortunately I was able to find a friend who could guide me through creating that SQL table.

The big problem I'm having is that the registration form has completely vanished.

I think that is the only problem. It looks as if the new Admin menu is working, and the rest of the phpBB2 site seems okay.

I suspect that I'm having the same problem as eyeless in this thread.

Since you asked eyeless to send you the attached files I tried to do that, but the email was returned.

The zipped record of those 3 files is here: http://www.ballantyne.com/for_Oleg_Parashchenko.zip
That is a temporary location and I will remove them when the problem is solved.

I am also using a MAC, and the text editor is textWrangler.

BTW, if you have a problem seeing the forum it could be because I've already banned lots of IPs in Saint-Petersburg. If this is the case, let me know yours and I'll un-ban it.

The forum is here: governing.ca/phpBB2/index.php There are 4 hidden forums and 1 hidden usergroup that are not visible.

Many thanks... Robert
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject:  

Hello Robert,

I'm very sorry that installing my software caused so much pain. Initially I thought the tool would be installed by experienced webmasters only, not by normal people. Now I'm working on a user-friendly graphical installer.

Quote:
I suspect that I'm having the same problem as eyeless in this thread.

Yes, you are right.

Quote:
Since you asked eyeless to send you the attached files I tried to do that, but the email was returned.

It's very very strange. Would you please provide details? Where to did you send the e-mail? With which excuse the e-mail was returned?

I've updated your files. Download the package here: http://bbantispam.com/tmp/20071116/a.zip. Please report the results.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject:  

admin wrote:

I'm very sorry that installing my software caused so much pain. Initially I thought the tool would be installed by experienced webmasters only, not by normal people. Now I'm working on a user-friendly graphical installer.

Pain? Having to clean out the spammer accounts at my forum was painful. Tonight it looks as if your MOD has ended all of that. I am truly grateful to you for providing a solution to a huge problem.

I am writing to let you know that with the files you sent, the forum is working well. I have done a run-through of the whole registration process. I can see that your MOD is an elegant solution to a large problem for all of us who want to take advantage of these forums.

So, many thanks for taking the time to help out a 'normal' person!

I think that all of us are going to have to learn how to operate in the guts of our software. I run 2 websites, 3 blogs (one is for an association), and now one forum. My wife has just been asked to manage a small non-profit's Joomla site plus a wiki. Big companies can hire pros to do it for them. Us normal people are going to have to figure it out for ourselves.

BTW, something earlier in the thread suggested that the problem I was having might be related to using a Macintosh. Since this is likely not the last MOD I will want to use, can you suggest what I was doing wrong?

admin wrote:
Robert wrote:

It's very very strange. Would you please provide details? Where to did you send the e-mail? With which excuse the e-mail was returned?

I sent it to olepar at gmail.com. I think I found the address in one of the forum posts, but I don't remember where. Also, I did not keep the bounced email. Since I have my own domain, spammers often pretend that their emails come from my domain. It means that I can have hundreds of bounced emails in my inbox overnight. I delete them at the POP server. So, I peek at what is there, and that is how I saw that the email I sent to you was returned. But it was deleted.

Best wishes... Robert
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject:  

I'm happy to hear that the MOD finally works and spam is stopped.

Quote:
Us normal people are going to have to figure it out for ourselves.

Unfortunately, yes. Fortunately, it's not so hard as expected.

Quote:
BTW, something earlier in the thread suggested that the problem I was having might be related to using a Macintosh. Since this is likely not the last MOD I will want to use, can you suggest what I was doing wrong?

In the text files, the end of line is encoded differently on Windows, Unix and Mac. PhpBB templates fail when they are in the Mac format. Therefore, when editing and saving phpBB files, check the options of the text editor: file format should be DOS/Windows or Unix.

Quote:
I sent it to olepar at gmail.com. I think I found the address in one of the forum posts, but I don't remember where...

Don't worry, probably I've already identified the problem. GMail started to reject letters with PHP files.

Ok.