bbAntiSpam: Discuss how to stop web spam

The forum is retired.

bbAntiSpam Forum Index - Textual Confirmation - easy mod install

Philip Franckel

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: easy mod install  

I do not see the mod in Unprocessed MODs.

I uploaded the following folders to forum/admin/mods/textualconfirmation/

admin
includes
language/lang_english
templates
index.html
tc_admin.png
tc_register.png
tc_wrong.png

Can you tell me what I did wrong?
Thanks.
Phil
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject:  

The file "install.txt" is missed, put it into the folder "forum/admin/mods/textualconfirmation/ ".

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: notifications and uninstall  

How many/how often are notifications emailed to me and if I want to uninstall, can that be done through EasyMOD?
Phil
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject:  

Hello,

Quote:
How many/how often are notifications emailed to me

Notification is send each time when the question is answered incorrect. Therefore, "how many/how often" depends on activity of spammers.

Quote:
I want to uninstall, can that be done through EasyMOD

If TC is installed through EastMOD, then yes, uninstall can be done through EasyMOD.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: installation error  

Hi,

when i do EasyMode installation, i see the following error message:

-------------------------------------
Critical Error

FIND FAILED: In file [includes/usercp_register.php] could not find:

$template->assign_vars(array(
'USERNAME' => isset($username) ? $username : '',
'CUR_PASSWORD' => isset($cur_password) ? $cur_password : '',

MOD script line #119 ::

--------------------

I believe i have version 2.0.18 of the phpbb forum.

Thank you.
forum@struga.org
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject:  

Your version of phpBB is old, it's very recommended to upgrade it.

To install Textual Confirmation on phpBB 2.0.18 using EasyMOD, change the installation file "install.txt". Find:
Code:

'USERNAME' => isset($username) ? $username : '',
      'CUR_PASSWORD' => isset($cur_password) ? $cur_password : '',

and change to
Code:

'USERNAME' => $username,
      'CUR_PASSWORD' => $cur_password,

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject:  

Dear Oleg,

many thanks for your prompt and constructive feedback. With the suggested fix i was able to install the Textual Confirmation mod. I hope it will help me eliminate the bot spam that i encounter on a daily basis.

btw, is it recommended to upgrade the version of the phpbb forum because of security reasons? Does the current version offer more advantages to this end? I could certainly update, my only concern is whether the already installed mods would work with the new version, or i would need to install them again?

Another related question: do you know of a mod that will help me do mass processing on registered users? In particular, now i need to search for the individual names, and then eliminate all the bots one by one. It would be convenient to have a tool to do all of them at the same time, maybe from the link to the memberlist on the forum?

Thank you again.

regards,
struga
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject:  

Hello,

Quote:
btw, is it recommended to upgrade the version of the phpbb forum because of security reasons? Does the current version offer more advantages to this end? I could certainly update, my only concern is whether the already installed mods would work with the new version, or i would need to install them again?

Yes, I recommend upgrade due to security reasons. And yes, it's quite possible that you problems with already installed MODs. It's hard to recommend what to do, sorry.

Quote:
Another related question: do you know of a mod that will help me do mass processing on registered users? In particular, now i need to search for the individual names, and then eliminate all the bots one by one. It would be convenient to have a tool to do all of them at the same time, maybe from the link to the memberlist on the forum?

I used PHPBB Admin ToolKit: http://bbantispam.com/howto/curing.html. It is easy in install and works well.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject:  

Hi Oleg,

thank you for all the responses. Textual confirmation works now, and it seems it filters a lot of the spammers that used to visit the site.

thank you again.

regards,
Struga

admin wrote:
Hello,

Quote:

Yes, I recommend upgrade due to security reasons. And yes, it's quite possible that you problems with already installed MODs. It's hard to recommend what to do, sorry.

Quote:

I used PHPBB Admin ToolKit: http://bbantispam.com/howto/curing.html. It is easy in install and works well.
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject:  

Thanks for thanks, and best wishes to your forum!

Ok.