bbAntiSpam: Discuss how to stop web spam

The forum is retired.

bbAntiSpam Forum Index - phpBB spam - Allowing anonymous postings

Brett

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Allowing anonymous postings  

Hi,

I don't yet have a forum installed but am sure I'll go with bbphp. I want to allow anonymous postings so that poeple don't have to register. The screenshot of bbAntiSpam shows a registration form. How does your software work for those that want to post but don't want to register?

Also, can you explain how the LinkRejector software works if an anonymous user (spammer) post spam into a message.

I'll be running bbphp on top of ms sql server. Would that be an issue for your software?

Kind regards,
Brett
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject:  

Hello Brett,

thanks for the questions.

Quote:
I want to allow anonymous postings so that people don't have to register.

It's a nice idea.

Quote:
How does your software work for those that want to post but don't want to register?

Textual Confirmation (TC): not in action in this case. TC only prevents automatic registration.

Links Rejector (LR): no links are allowed in the user messages. More below. LR is very good against human spammers.

Advanced Textual Confirmation (ATC): it validates that the message is posted by an user, not by a bot (automatic program).

Quote:
Also, can you explain how the LinkRejector software works if an anonymous user (spammer) post spam into a message.

Unregistered users can't post contact information. That's all.

It works because spammers always submit links, otherwise there is no reason to spam. Therefore, no links allowed -- no opportunity to spam.

You can see a screenshot on the LR home page.

Quote:
I'll be running bbphp on top of ms sql server. Would that be an issue for your software?

I don't know, and I don't recommend to use phpBB together with MS SQL. However, I have TC installation instructions for MS SQL, and nobody yet complained.

LR and ATC doesn't use a database.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject:  

If I use only Textual Confirmation and moderate my board manually, will that be effective?

Can TC work on one form or is it a two form process? I'd just like it to be simple and fast to post.

Thanks,
Brett
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject:  

Hello,

Quote:
If I use only Textual Confirmation and moderate my board manually, will that be effective?

As you are going to allow anonymous postings, no. You also have to install Links Rejector to stop spam in the guest postings.

Quote:
Can TC work on one form or is it a two form process?

TC is a one-form process.

Thanks for questions, now I have ideas how to re-write texts and suggestions. Draft short version:

There are two alternative types of setup:

1) Textual Confirmation plus Links Rejector, or
2) Advanced Textual Confirmation.

The first gives better integration with phpBB, but the second is much easier in setup and maintenance. If you don't know what to use, use Advanced Textual Confirmation.

Quote:
I'd just like it to be simple and fast to post.

This forum is protected by Advanced Textual Confirmation only. As you've already posted two messages, you can estimate if it's simple and fast.

By the way, how have you found it? Was it simple and fast?

Ok.