bbAntiSpam: Discuss how to stop web spam

The forum is retired.

bbAntiSpam Forum Index - Textual Confirmation - Lots of blank failed registrations

gbr1918

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Lots of blank failed registrations  

Anyone else getting a lot of failed registrations from ' '? Any ideas why spambots should be trying to do this? Are they trying to avoid identification by seeing if an automated registration is possible before doing it for real? I'm going to write a trap for this, it's easy and saves a load of pointless emails, but I'd be really interested to hear if anyone's got any ideas about what this means.
Cheers, Dave

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject:  

It's an interesting news. Would you please forward several reports to me (olepar gmail com)? I'd like to look at it.

The first idea is: such names are hard for the administrator to delete.

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject:  

On the way!
Dave
gbr1918

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject:  

Sorry! That last post was me. I didn't realise guests could post!
Dave Cooper

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
I didn't realise guests could post!

Yes, it's a bit unbelievable in the modern world. Thanks Links Rejector! (But it's going to retire in favour of Advanced Textual Confirmation.)

I've received your mail, thanks. However, I still don't understand what the spammer does. Most likely, it's just a bug in a spam bot.

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
Most likely, it's just a bug in a spam bot.
Well, that's a very good suggestion! And I was assuming it was some diabolical plan, but of course it doesn't matter if the spambot isn't very efficient, does it? I think the next thing for me to do is to go and look at Links Rejector. I can't believe I'm soooooooo stupid! Considering how good TC is why didn't I install LR at once? Embarassed
Dave

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
Considering how good TC is why didn't I install LR at once?

Actually, in few days I'm going to retire LR for this support forum in favour of [url=/atc/]Advanced Textual Confirmation[/url]. I hope that CAPTCHA during posting a message is enough to stop guest spam bots.

However, I can't retire LR for one of my popular forums. Recently I realized that LR stops manual spam, and it's very good.

As a summary: if you have human spammers, you need LR, otherwise you don't need it.

Ok.