bbAntiSpam: Discuss how to stop web spam

The forum is retired.

bbAntiSpam Forum Index - Textual Confirmation - A Suggestion and A Question

mezmorizing

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: A Suggestion and A Question  

My first is a suggesion:

On this forum one of the registration questions is 2 + 2 * 2 = ?????

2 + 2 * 2 = ?????;
2 + 2 = 4;
4 * 2 = 8;

8 (eight) is the answer

By the proper mathematical function all multiplications (* or x) should be done first, .....

2 + 2 * 2 = ????? is really 2 + (2 * 2) = ?????

so, the other answer is .....

2 + (2 * 2) = ?????;
2 * 2 = 4;
4 + 2 = 6;

6 (six) is the answer

Now, I'm not the cleverest, and I used 8 (eight) as the answer twice, once in number format and once in word format, both failed [I'm gussing the correct answer was 6]. I think it would be best rather not to use a math question that may have more than once answer, or to point out the way to solve it out in the correct way somehow.

Second, a question.

I have a premodded forum. I was about to buy a business license for the two hacks available for the software but realised that I needed to imput my domain. However, my premodded forum is used at multiple domains by a lot of people. It's available free for download. Is there a way that I can purchase a business license that has no set domain? And, if this is possible, how much will the license cost?

If this is not yet available, will there be a "super business" type of license in the future?
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject:  

The first beta of Textual Confirmation had a math question. And yes, that question was "2 + 2 * 2". Due to the symbol "*" for a required field, it looked as "2 + 2 * 2 *", which was a bit confusing.

Therefore, I changed the question to "[math]2 + 2 * 2[/math]", but got a question what did the tag "math" mean and where to it should be put.

Finally, I removed the question from the mod. But I see I haven't removed it from the database. Thanks for reporting!

Meanwhile, I found a funny picture:

About licenses:

* I give 30% off for consequent licenses.
* If the same board is available under different names, one license is ok.

But it seems your situation is totally different. You distribute a modded phpBB, you want to include Textual Confirmation, and you want that your users don't need to buy a TC license. Am I right?

I thought about a super business license, but it seems you are not a super business, but a normal human, therefore I can't charge a lot.

I have to think a bit for ideas. Right now please comment what do you think about the following:

Users of your software can purchase Textual Confirmation with 30% discount. Does it look good?
mezmorizing

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject:  

admin wrote:
But it seems your situation is totally different. You distribute a modded phpBB, you want to include Textual Confirmation, and you want that your users don't need to buy a TC license. Am I right?

Yes, that is correct.

admin wrote:
I thought about a super business license, but it seems you are not a super business, but a normal human, therefore I can't charge a lot.

I have to think a bit for ideas. Right now please comment what do you think about the following:

Users of your software can purchase Textual Confirmation with 30% discount. Does it look good?

It's a nice offer, that I know. However, it means that there will ....

1. Rather have to be two versions of the forum, which is ok by me. However, what I don't want is for users to have to pay for the software. I obviously don't mind paying, but I don't want to sell a premodded forum when I don't have to.
2. A lot of users asking for help on how to apply their license to their forum.

.... So, for now, I will stick to the free version. If you come up with a new idea, great, if not, then it doesn't matter a lot. (I'm watching this topic so whether you come up with an idea in the next few days, weeks, or months, it doesn't matter).

Another question about the license, which is similiar to the above....

I have (nearly) created a feature for my forum that turns it into a host (so basically members can register and get their own forum - multiple forum installations).
The files are global, and currently it works like this: the forum is located at www.myforum.com and members can access theirs at www.myforum.com/some_name*. In the future members may have their own sub-domain, like www.some_name*.myforum.com
Currently I have no plans to implement this into the premodded forum, although if I do it again will be free to download. Is this classed as a "super business" that I will be creating, and if so how much will the license cost? Will I and the members that create their own forum have to purchase a license, or just me?

If I do put this multi-forum installation into the premodded forum, will I, the members that download the forum and use it for their website, as well as their registered members who've created their own forum at the download peersons site, have to purchase a license?
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject:  

I think I've got an idea, see below.

Quote:
I have (nearly) created a feature for my forum that turns it into a host (so basically members can register and get their own forum - multiple forum installations).

It's a "super business" license.

Quote:
If I do put this multi-forum installation into the premodded forum, will I, the members that download the forum and use it for their website, as well as their registered members who've created their own forum at the download peersons site, have to purchase a license?

It's a "super super business" license, as the members that download the forum need the "super business" license.

However, I think it's impossible to track these members and ask them to buy the "super business" license. Also, I assume those who want to make business on hosting multiple phpBB boards, will do custom developments, not use something from a third party. That's why I'm ready to downgrade the requirements:

* you need the "super business" license (instead of "super super business"),
* your users need nothing.

Now about "super business" license.

An expected conversion rate for shareware software is about 1% (1 purchase on 100 downloads). In case of bbAntiSpam tools it's a bit lower due to the nature of the tools. Also, your users might not need the tools. So let's suggest that if your users were had to buy TC, the conversion rate would be 1 of 500. This way I get the formula for the "super business" license.

* You need the usual business license.
* You need an additional business license (with 30% discount) for each 500 downloads/instances of your forum.
* Your users don't need the business license.

I think it's good both for me and you. If you can reach thousands of downloads, your site will be very profitable.
mezmorizing

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
I think it's good both for me and you. If you can reach thousands of downloads, your site will be very profitable.

Erm ... you mean you will be profitable Wink I don't wish to sell the forum software. I think it also may go against the license of phpBB if i do so.

1. So, will the super-business license cost the same amount as a normal license? [I gather no but you mention no price]

2. And this license is for 500 downloads/domains?

3. After 500 downloads/domains I have to purchase another license for the next 500?

4. And this license covers all products here, or just TC?

5. What does the license consist of?
Is it just a kind of reciept, or does actual code/key have to be put into files?

From your post I also gather that I cannot use this license if I have my MOD installed which lets people create themselves another forum.

Quote:
Also, I assume those who want to make business on hosting multiple phpBB boards, will do custom developments, not use something from a third party.

Yeah, you'd think so wouldn't you. I have however been approached twice (it's not easily downloadable yet, even though it is free) about the software, and it's not even out of beta yet. The places are however using it/testing out its features, although the version i've nearly finished creating is slightly different.

So, just to sum up, is this correct?.....

Premodded forum without license with multi-forums
This will not cost me nor the user anything because we have no license.?

Premodded forum with license without multi-forums
This is a super business license?
I buy the license, the user pays nothing because it doesn't have multi-forums. The license lasts for 500 downloads, after that I have to buy a new one.
How much does this cost?

Premodded forum with license with multi-forums
This is a super super business license?
Because it has multi-forums installed the user will have to purchase a license key, which for them will last 500 domains. They cannot distribute it themselves, only let up to 500 members create a forum at their forum, unlike me who can have a combination of up to 500 downloads/installations ^. It will cost the same as a super business license for the user. I however have to buy a super super business license.
This will cost how much? How many downloads does this last?

I was thinking, if i do buy a license, and its a super-super business license, then i could open up an online shop, where the users have to pay for a super business license (with the money being transferred to you). The shop would close at a certain period if it goes over what i can distribute.

Hmmm, is this getting a little too confusing for just me?

Anyways, I will have to think about the options available, and whether i really do want to buy/start selling software which i think (if i was really forced to make a decision) should be free.
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
Quote:

Erm ... you mean you will be profitable Wink Wink I don't wish to sell the forum software. I think it also may go against the license of phpBB if i do so.

I mean that your site should be very popular to get thousands of downloads, and popular sites can easily earn money (advertisement, Adsense, etc). By the way, GPL license doesn't forbid selling software.

Quote:
1. So, will the super-business license cost the same amount as a normal license? [I gather no but you mention no price]

Let's split the super business license on two parts: the business license and the recurring license.

* The cost of the business license is the same, $29.95.
* The cost of the recurring license is $29.95 minus 30%.

Quote:
2. And this license is for 500 downloads/domains?

The business license is prerequisite and purchased only once. The recurring license is for 500 downloads/domains.

Quote:
3. After 500 downloads/domains I have to purchase another license for the next 500?

Nearly yes. You have to purchase another recurring license before 500 downloads/domains.

Therefore, the initial minimal cost of the super business license is (I hope my calculator is good) $50.91 (one business plus one recurring).

Quote:
4. And this license covers all products here, or just TC?

The license covers all the bbAntiSpam products.

Quote:
5. What does the license consist of?
Is it just a kind of reciept, or does actual code/key have to be put into files?

After you purchase the license, I'll send you a new version of TC, with license-checking code removed.

Quote:
Hmmm, is this getting a little too confusing for just me?

Often I just can't write clearly what I mean. Don't hesitate to ask me till I formulate everything well.

Quote:
Premodded forum without license with multi-forums
This will not cost me nor the user anything because we have no license.?

Yes, this will not cost you and your users. However, your users will receive bothering notifications about spam.

Quote:
Premodded forum with license without multi-forums
This is a super business license?
I buy the license, the user pays nothing because it doesn't have multi-forums. The license lasts for 500 downloads, after that I have to buy a new one.
How much does this cost?

Yes, this is the super business license. The minimal cost is $50.91 as described above.

Quote:
Premodded forum with license with multi-forums
This is a super super business license?

Yes, it is the super super business license. However, I don't want to complicate things. As long as you distribute your premodded forum for free, all you need is just the super business license, and your users need nothing.

Well, the last phrase is the sum. As long as you distribute your premodded forum for free, all you need is just the super business license, and your users need nothing.

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject:  

OK, thanks for clearing it up.

I however have one more question before making up my mind.

I have implemented a feature on the forum to disable/enable all emails sent, set in the ACP. Would this somehow affect my rights in using your MOD's?
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject:  

No problem, you have all rights to do so.

Meantime, the page to purchase the super business license is ready.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject:  

admin wrote:
No problem, you have all rights to do so.

Meantime, the page to purchase the super business license is ready.

Quote:
bbAntiSpam Textual Confirmation for phpBB super business license (one business plus one recurring)

But it's for all bbAntiSpam products, right? Also, will it cover any products that may be released in the future by bbAntiSpam?

Quote:
Server name in the license key must equal to the server name of your forum. For example, if your forum address is "http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/", then use the server name "www.phpbb.com".

But it works for any domain, even if I enter www.mysite.com? So it will also work at www.someothersite.com, www.yetanothersite.com, www.someotherpersonssite.net, etc.

Also, do users have to change any of the code so they can use it at their site?

Edit: Is the super business license also valid for a forum that allows people to create their own forum?, which is not available for users to download? So basically, its a personal version of the forum only for myself, which allows people to host their forum and have the license too.
admin
Site Admin

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
Quote:
bbAntiSpam Textual Confirmation for phpBB super business license (one business plus one recurring)

But it's for all bbAntiSpam products, right?

Right.

Quote:
Also, will it cover any products that may be released in the future by bbAntiSpam?

It's my intention, but I don't promise it. For example, if I release an antispam for e-mail, it will require another license.

Quote:
Quote:
Server name in the license key must equal to the server name of your forum. For example, if your forum address is "http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/", then use the server name "www.phpbb.com".

But it works for any domain, even if I enter www.mysite.com? So it will also work at www.someothersite.com, www.yetanothersite.com, www.someotherpersonssite.net, etc.

Yes, it will work for any domain, because I'll remove license checks from the code. In your case, the field "Server name" actually isn't required, just put some nonsense info there.

Quote:
Also, do users have to change any of the code so they can use it at their site?

No, users don't need to change anyhing.

Quote:
Edit: Is the super business license also valid for a forum that allows people to create their own forum?, which is not available for users to download?

Yes, the super business license is valid or this case.

Let's continue with such summary:

* If you are the owner of an usual forum, you need a business license.

* If 1) you are the author of a tool which allows to create forums 2) you want the owners of that forums are not bothered by Textual Confirmation, then:
- you need the super business license,
- the owners need nothing.

* If 1) you are the author of a tool which allows to create forums 2) you include Textual Confirmation as is, and 3) all the licensing issues is the bother of the owners of that forums, then:
- you need nothing,
- the owners need the business license.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject:  

admin wrote:

Meanwhile, I found a funny picture:

Hahaha! That must be for a mathematics forum. I used to know how to do maths like when i was in school that but since i had no use for it after the exams, i forgot it all.

Ok.